Monday, May 2, 2011

Finals:I thought I was going to edit.... but it didn't happen

So, its finals.
That sentence carries so many feelings and connotations for so many people that I don't feel like I need to say anything else to create any of the emotions that I may be feeling right now.
As is the nature of finals, I have lots and lots I want to say and not so much time to say it all. But I know that if I put it off and don't write it now I won't write it ever. At least I won't write it the way I would if I were to get it all out on the table now in its current undigested state..... maybe not the best analogy.
But anyways... on to the actual content.
Two things that I have been thinking about this week. (good things, make a plan and go for it--trust the spirit and the conditions under which it is promised, timing)
One: all the good things that have happened this semester.
At the beginning of the school year, as a tradition [and something that I just really need], we (the kids) always get father's blessings*. This year one thing that I got from my blessing was that it was going to be a really great year. Even better than last year (as I took it). Well, I spent a lot of time this year wondering why that wasn't the case. Every time I had something inconvenient happen I took it as an opportunity to say, "This is not what I was planning on. I was planning on only really good things this year. None of this hard, learning stuff. I only want the good stuff." Well, I was forgetting that is the good stuff. That is the stuff that is really good. And I was forgetting all the hard stuff I had last year too. Cause in retrospect, everything is more enjoyable. And it wasn't until this weekend really that I was able to really acknowledge that this is exactly what I signed up for. I have made friendships that will last forever, learned a lot from my roommates and hopefully helped out someone else at least a little. And as long as I was comparing the difficult middle of my experience to the memory of my past experience I wasn't able to enjoy it.
Two: Heavenly Father's timing isn't mine.
When everything wasn't turning out the way I wanted it too, I kept wanting to just say, "This isn't what I planned on. I'm done. I'm just going to quit doing the things I am need to if I want the results I was promised." But then I would go to institute and Bro. Hunsaker would say something that would remind me that when I agreed, I didn't just agree for a limited time. I agreed to just do those things and I trusted that when they were supposed to--at the time that would benefit me the most--the results would be exactly what they were promised to be. And I've just got to trust.
Three: If you are doing everything you can and really looking for guidance Heavenly Father will give it to you. And if its hard to recognize when you are receiving guidance and when you are just following your own ideas, you just gotta trust that Heavenly Father is going to guide you whether you realize it or not at the time.



*I always find things that I really, really need for that coming semester, and I have never failed to see truth in them that my dad could never have known on his own. So for this first reason (a specific proof for the school year that God knows everything going on in my life and really genuinely cares about it because he really genuinely cares about me) I need it. Also, there are always things in there that help me decide what I want to focus on and what I want to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment