Friday, January 14, 2011

ramblings of 1.14.10

I got a letter the other day that made me very happy, for several reasons. I rediscovered (just the way I do everytime I see this particular friend) that we are still friends, still really good friends, and that she has just as much of a desire for this to remain unchanged as I do. Well, I guess that's not true. I don't want to just remain unchanged. I guess I am glad that we are both changing, but that our friendship is travelling along with us just fine. Because I really do believe that people and relationships grow and dim. And this letter made my understanding grow. It also motivated me to write more. So here I am writing.
I have been thinking today about an idea I got from someone else. This idea is that if our decisions and personality are dependent on circumstance, we won't have all the happiness in life we could. But if we are dependent on principles and fixed ideas, we won't flounder and flop in different situations. Our happiness will be dependent on things we have control of and not on whatever situation we might be put in.
This made me think of the smartest person my mom ever knew who said he had something that he could learn from everyone.
For me, its choosing not to be influenced by every bad decision of those around me, and choosing to let the good patterns of the people I am with influence me.

No comments:

Post a Comment