Friday, March 18, 2011

my word of honor, mexico, and some musicians. AKA some thoughts from 3/3/11

Remember how, back in the day, when people gave their word it was really truly binding. Their honor meant a lot to them and they would do nearly anything to defend it. I really want to be like that. My problem is that I also just really want to do whatever people need and in the moment I really convince myself that I can. Usually I would to well to think a little more closely about whether or not I can really follow through with the things that I say that I am going to do. And just be little more hesitant to say that I will do things. Usually it is better to say yes later and surprise someone in a good way than to say yes and then no and disappoint them and (whether or not they are disappointed) go back on your word. My word should mean more than that. My word should be a point of pride for me like for the people back in the day. They knew what was up and what was down and just had their heads screwed on straight all around. Well... probably not all of them, but the founding fathers at least. I like them. I hope that stating this good intention doesn't damage my ability to live it.

Mexico makes me sad. I was reading in the newspaper today when I was at Grammie's with Sherrie and the only news coverage that the most recent update on the war between law enforcement and the drug cartels was a little tiny article (probably no more than 6 inches) about drug cartel/ gang related arrests. It even said in the article something about 35,000 deaths in the war between the different drug cartels and Mexican law enforcement. And no one cares!!!!!

I have been loving that song by Michael Buble called I Just Haven't Met You Yet. I have just experienced my first round of a significant percentage of really close friends getting married. And even though it is totally dumb and I know that I have plenty of time, I just FEEL (I really wish you could use italics on this website) sometimes (not all the time, mind you, just some of the time) like its going to take forever for me to find the person for me. It is a reminder that I just haven't met them yet and that it will happen. It just reminds me to be happy. :)

Also, I am in love with Alexi Murdoch's voice.

1 comment:

  1. Dr. Walker says he learned when he was in leadership that the person who is hesitant to take a calling, and asks a lot of questions and seems to almost say no is the person he knows will always do what they have committed to do. He would agree with everything you said here--if he was fortunate enough to know of your site.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete